Friday, May 4, 2007

Friday Five: Parties!

And again, the RevGalBlogPals Friday Five...this week about parties...

1) Would you rather be the host or the guest?

Either is fine under the right circumstances. I like hosting as long as I have the space, can get it clean, and can supply food/snacks as I prefer. So with sufficient prep, yes.

I like being the guest of it's a party I want to go to (as opposed to one I'm obliged to go to; those are fewer these days, though), if I have time to do the prep I want (the people around here do a lot of costume parties, and I'm a stickler for authenticity even outside the SCA), and if I haven't been so busy with other things that I have no brain left.

2) When you are hosting, do you clean everything up the minute the guests go home? Will you accept help with the dishes?

Usually the place isn't too much of a mess. I'll get the leftovers put away, of course, and at the very least get the dishes into the sink and soaking if they need it. Help with the dishes? Absolutely!

No shame about leaving the place a mess if I'm exhausted, though, as long as the food's dealt with.

3) If you had the wherewithal, and I guess I mean more than money, to throw a great theme party, what would the theme be?

Hm. Something fun and costume-ey, as that's the tradition here and I really enjoy it. The James Bond party was fun but not something I'd throw. The villains party was a blast. Maybe a Firefly theme party if I had the right people to invite; that's a specialized theme. Nothing medieval; I do that all the time.

4) What's the worst time you ever had at a party?

You know...I don't think I've ever had a really horrible time at a party. I've been bored, antisocial, annoyed; but nothing worse than that that I can remember. There's always been somewhere to slip off and be grumpy on my own...

5) And to end on a brighter note, what was the best?

Possibly the surprise 18th birthday party my high school friends pulled off on me. It worked, and I'm a paranoid soul. I still don't know how they did it.

Or any of the New Years Eve parties Ben's parents threw...excellent theme parties by people with the money and other wherewithal to pull things off. Frex, the one year they had a 'do a scene from your favourite play' theme, I got to spend the evening in the basement, running three cameras by remote control to get the best angle on what was going on.

Might be just a bit of a geek.

--

In other news, feeling better than last night. Sometimes you just need to whinge some, I think. Or at least I do.

Spent a bunch of time alone last night, just goofing off and doing thins I like; and then hung out with Ray today, and we took Shanti for a long walk. Went partway around the lake, kept the Mighty Huntress from eating several birds, another cat's mouse (and wasn't that fun), and a prairie dog, much to her annoyance. She keeps acting like she's about to jump in the creek, though she hasn't yet. I just have this image of fifteen pounds of soaking-wet long-haired pissed-off cat...

The people at the consignment place I went to yesterday think my stuff can sell at a higher price than I had on it, so I'll get more back than I thought I would. They're also willing to put out my bookmarks (at twice the price I thought I could get for them) and are talking about buying some themselves! So I'm feeling a lot better about that, too. It's not a great deal, but it's something.

And then there was 'hey, I've got an hour before work...how do you want to pass the time?' which always cheers me up. And smirking at Tim when we passed each other in the parking lot, me going to work, him on his way home.

Another hour and I'm off work, thence to Friday Night gaming with the most annoying (but fun) character I've ever played in my life.

No comments: