Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Memeidute!

Tandaina tagged me something like last week or the one before, and here I am, finally levering my tuchus free to do the meme.

Rules

1) You have to use your own belief system for the meme. No fair using someone else’s to make a joke or satire. Being humorous about your own religion is encouraged!

2) You have to have at least one joy and one trial. More are encouraged. And no, they don’t have to be equal in length, but please be honest.

3) You have to tag at least one other person. More are appreciated!

4) Please post these rules!

The joys of being a confused, intermittently church-going Independent Catholic with occasional pagan leanings:

1) The Eucharist. Every week. Three times a week if I really want to.

2) The freedom to think about what the Bible says, and what it means, instead of having to take someone else's word for it.

3) Finding the sacred everywhere, not just in a building someone's dedicated to God.

4) Drinking wine out of the same glass as everyone else.

5) Sharing a religion with some of the most wonderful people I know (that would be a lot of you who read my blog, y'all).

6) Having the freedom to think the rest of y'all are pretty cool too, even if you worship rocks or trees or something (kidding! Put down that pitchfork!).

7) Being able to be Christian, to follow Jesus, and show people who've had bad experiences with people who call themselves Christian that we're not all like that, and, as far as I can tell, neither was Jesus.

The trials of being a confused, intermittently church-going Independent Catholic with occasional pagan leanings:

1) Watching Dogma.

2) The Texts of Terror.

3) The concept of Original Sin.

4) Sharing a religion with a whole lot of people who really, honestly think I'm 'not fit to live'.

5) People who assume I'm one of the people in 4) when I tell them I'm Christian.

6) Trying to reconcile the thought of a loving, all-powerful God with all the horrendous shit that happens in the world.

I'll tag Plain Fool and Wulfila, cos I'm really interested in what they'll say.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see this meme is still going. And I love your answers.

Plain Foolish said...

Heh...

The thing is that one of the main trials of my belief system is that I'm not sure it has a name that would take less than... oh a lifetime, perhaps, to really tell. I suppose I could do what I did when I was firmly Pagan and just say "eclectic" and be done, but... well, that tends to give people odd notions, especially given some of the current attitudes about that path.

I was once sternly lectured by a Ceremonial Magician for calling myself an eclectic kitchen witch. It happened to be true, but he felt that it would make people assume me to be... less than I am.

As for the joys of the path I'm on... well, I don't know that I'm good at summing it up - it just sort of *is* the path. Even when it's hard, I don't have to walk it alone.

I hope this is good

Kate said...

Thanks, Jarred!

And interesting answers, Plain Fool. I hear things have been Exciting; hope they calm down soon, hun.