Monday, April 12, 2010

Episcopal Priest Barbie

...I am NOT kidding.

The Rev. Barbie was created by the Rev. Julie Blake Fisher for a friend, the Rev. Dena Cleaver-Bartholomew, as a gift to celebrate Rev. Dena being called to her first parish.

I'm torn between OMG AWESOME and being a little grumpy about the unrealistic expectations Barbie always brings with her. I mean, not even priests usually manage to look like that, and they're quite as vulnerable to society's views on beauty as the rest of us.

But...minor quibble, cos I think in this case the Rev. Barbie (of St. Barbara’s-by-the-Sea in Malibu) is far more likely to inspire women to investigate a call to the priesthood than make us angst about our appearance. And anyway, she's right with me from a liturgical and ritual standpoint -- she even comes with a miniature thurible!

So I'm gonna come down on the side of Rev. Barbie being SERIOUSLY AWESOME, and now I kinda want one to play with too.

No comments: